Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 1 - Canada, Here I Come

Thursday, April 26
Mexican border (mile 0) to Lake Morena (20.6)
Miles Today: 20.6

My hike on the PCT has officially begun. People started getting up between 4:30 and 5 for an early breakfast and were then piling into cars before 6:00 for rides to the border. I got a ride from Boomer, a former PCT hiker who worked as a cook at the Antarctica research station for seven months.

We got to the border around 7:00 and after snapping some pictures I was on my way.



It was chilly with a misty rain for most of the day, but I'd take that over the heat that this area usually gets. John and I hiked together for the first 15 miles or so. There were a ton of other people on the trail, but it didn't feel crowded. It seems like we're one big family already and everybody gets along instantly.



Most of the hiking today was really easy. The first serious climb came in the last five miles and I struggled. I guess it'll take a week or two before I get my trail legs.



Eventually I made it to Lake Morena and checked in for the Annual Day Zero PCT Kickoff (ADZPCTKO), a yearly gathering of past and current thruhikers, as well as trail angels, volunteers, and gear vendors. There are hundreds of people spread out all over the campground. I've never seen anything like it. I'm up way too late after spending most of the night in the party area. It's been a good start to the hike.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that you would be hiking with other people. That is so awesome. Sounds like a good start, and I hope you get your trail legs soon! Be safe <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to kick off the hike!

    ReplyDelete