Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 79 - Halfway to Canada!

Day 79 - Friday, July 13
Frog Spring (1,304.2) to N of midpoint (1,327.5)
Miles today - 23.3

Macho and I didn't know where Bronco and Fairway ended up last night, but it turns out they were just a mile behind us. They passed our camp at 6 am just as we were getting ready to leave.

Northern California is starting to make me feel like I'm back in the desert a little bit with the heat and some dry stretches where I need to carry more water. At least there are plenty of trees here, and the scenery isn't bad either. For the past few days we've had views of Mt Lassen to the north. It's an active volcano that we'll be hiking around in the next couple days. It's been cool to see it get bigger and bigger the closer we get.



Above: Lassen in the distance.

There was some disagreement today over our plans for this section and how many miles we should be doing. I tried to stay out of it as much as possible. Bronco and I don't feel the need to do big days. We'll still get to Oregon before our target date of August 1st if we just average 23 miles per day, and that allows for a couple zero days. Macho and Fairway chose to go further today. Hopefully the group isn't going to split.

On the plus side, I passed the halfway point today! I can't believe I have to walk this same distance over again, but it gives me confidence knowing there's less trail in front of me than behind me. I think the second half will be exciting. I'm really looking forward to Oregon and Washington, if I ever get there. California seems to go on forever!



Above: The halfway monument was pretty underwhelming. But it was still exciting to get there!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the halfway point!

    Achievement unlocked

    ReplyDelete