Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 86 - Accepting Fate

Day 86 - Friday, July 20
Peavine Creek (1,437.3) to dirt road (1,463)
Miles today - 25.7

Today felt really long. Maybe because I'm anticipating going home in a few days. Or maybe it's because this section of the trail isn't great. It's overgrown in some spots, sometimes requiring me to push through thick brush. And other than the occasional view of Shasta there hasn't been much to look at. Shasta is incredible though, so it kind of makes up for the boring bits.



My back felt better yesterday after the day of rest, but it hurt for most of the day today. It's not bad enough to keep me from being able to do 25+ mile days though, so sometimes I wonder if I'm just using it as an excuse to go home. I always told myself I would never quit unless I was physically unable to walk or if there was some kind of family tragedy back home. But it's one thing to say that from the comfort of home before the trip. It's another thing to be out here trying to tolerate the pain day in and day out. It's made every day, every mile, feel like a grind, and it's just not enjoyable anymore.

I got cell service during one of our breaks this afternoon and I made the mistake of checking Facebook and seeing all the messages of support left by friends and family after hearing that I'm ending my hike. I certainly appreciate the support and it feels good knowing that so many people were cheering for me, but I can't help but feel like I've let them all down, even if I know that isn't the case. As I hiked on with these thoughts racing through my head I became so overwhelmed that I almost had to stop and sit down. I feel so much pressure to continue, mostly from myself and not wanting to fail, but I know I'm making the right decision.



Above: Camping right on a dirt road, the flattest spot we could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment