Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 67 - Carson Pass Magic

Day 67 - Sunday, July 1
Eagle Creek (1,055) to Upper Truckee River (1,082.3)
Miles today - 27.3

It was another fun day of hiking. I think this section from Sonora Pass to Lake Tahoe over the last few days has been my favorite so far.



It doesn't have the grandeur of the High Sierra, but it has a different kind of beauty. It's a lot more colorful and diverse.



Plus the trail is a lot more mellow so I can enjoy the scenery without having to worry about tripping over rocks with every step. I think most importantly is that I'm with a group again.



There was some more trail magic today. The information center at Carson Pass had fruit and other snacks for hikers.



There were about 130 people that had signed the register before us. At Ziggy and the Bear's 800 miles ago I was #288, so we've been making good time and have definitely moved in front of the herd. It would be interesting to find out exactly how many people are still on he trail and how many have dropped out.

There's seven of us camping together in a meadow. Bronco, Houdini, Macho Taco, Fairway, Ruby Locks, a redhead from New Zealand, and Calf from Germany, who has the biggest calves I've ever seen. The mosquitoes are out in full force. Somehow it's not as bad when everyone is suffering together.

3 comments:

  1. Hiking by oneself is never fun. Attempt to stick with a group of thruhikers every few days. Really helps with keeping your morale up as you've already noticed I'm sure. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And any pics of the redhead? ^_^

    ReplyDelete