Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 81 - Drakesbad

Day 81 - Sunday, July 15
North Fork Feather River (1,344.5) to Badger Flat (1,367.8)
Miles today - 23.3

Today we entered Lassen Volcanic National Park. It has some of the same features as Yellowstone, like geysers and boiling lakes, but on a smaller scale.



Above: Terminal Geyser, just a short walk from the PCT.

It's one of the smallest and least visited national parks.

I got to Drakesbad Guest Ranch, which is inside the park, a little after 9 am. I just missed breakfast. Bronco got there 15 minutes earlier and got the last scraps. I got a free shower and they did our laundry while we waited for lunch. It was a long wait since they wouldn't serve hikers until after the guests were done. Finally after 1 pm they brought out barely enough food and soda to go around for the dozen or so hikers that were there. It wasn't worth the four hours I waited for something to eat, and the manager wasn't very friendly towards hikers either. I appreciate the free shower and laundry, but overall Drakesbad was a disappointing experience after all the good things I had heard about it.



Above: Boiling Springs Lake

I feel like I'm wearing out physically. My back has been hurting a bit recently. The terrain has been easy the last few days and we haven't been doing big miles, so I don't know what the problem is. I guess it's just wear and tear from hiking every day for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment