Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 14 - San Jacinto

Day 14 - Wednesday, May 9
Idyllwild (178.6) to Black Mountain (190.4)
Miles today - 11.8 + 4.2 off trail = 16

Yesterday I convinced Spencer to do the San Jacinto Peak alternate route. This route goes to the summit whereas the PCT goes around it. It adds about 1.7 miles. We got the earliest ride back to the trailhead that we could find, which was a little after 7:00. From there it was over 4,000 feet of climbing to the summit at 10,800 feet. It's not one of the highest peaks I've climbed, but what sets it apart is how far above its surroundings it is, with a 10,000 foot drop down to the desert floor. It was worth the extra effort, except later I found out it's only the second highest peak in southern California. I'm not sure what the highest is.



Shortly after rejoining the PCT we ran into Wampus and Zen and hiked with them the rest of the day. There was quite a bit of snow to navigate.



After skiing down one of the larger drifts I made a silly comment about how I like to maximize the fun, and right then I slipped and fell. I guess I deserved it. I'm surprised I wasn't given a trail name because of it. I was more careful on the snow after that.



Below: looking back towards San Jacinto




No comments:

Post a Comment