Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 27 - Poodle Dog, Chafing, and a Skunk

Day 27 - Tuesday, May 22
Camp Glenwood (400.9) to Messenger Flat Campground (430.6)
Miles today - 29.7

Today was one of those days that felt like it would never end. I started out strong as we hiked the first 10 or 11 miles without stopping, but then I started chafing pretty bad in the groin area. I had to walk the rest of the day with my hand over that area to keep it from rubbing more. Everybody teased me about it, but it was the only relief from the burning, so I didn't care.



This whole area was burned in a huge forest fire a few years ago and there is poodle dog bush all over the place. It's so bad that we had to take detours on roads to avoid the stuff.



We took a four hour break at the Mill Creek Ranger Station where there was water and shade. To our surprise, Fairway, Bronco, Yankee Son, Hallmark, and Just Retired caught up to us there. Only Fairway decided to continue on with us though, while the others were done for the day. We left the ranger station at 6 and had a 10 mile road walk up Mount Gleason, a detour around a section of trail with too much poodle dog bush to safely get through. We ended up walking into the darkness and had views of the LA area all lit up in the distance. As we were nearing the campground we ran into a skunk walking down the road straight at us. We all took off running and the skunk kept coming, completely unafraid of us. Finally it went off the road and allowed us to pass. It wasn't until after 10 that we made it to camp, ending a near 30 mile day. I'm exhausted!




2 comments:

  1. No pictures of the skunk? I guess you were more focused on running away from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your junk feels better.

    ReplyDelete