Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 33 - 500

Day 33 - Monday, May 28
Water tank (496.5) to Hikertown (518.4)
Miles today - 21.9

The wind was strong last night and blew my tent over. I got it staked down well after that, but it was flapping around all night and I'm not sure I got even two hours of sleep. I had no energy this morning and also had a bit of a stomach bug, so I was really slow and hiked alone well behind the rest of the group. I did cross the 500 mile mark though, so the morning wasn't all bad.



I did eventually regain my strength and caught up to everyone. We had some awesome trail magic when we ran into a group of about 40 Korean seniors. They cheered and then made a tunnel with their arms for us to walk through.



Then they passed out huge chunks of watermelon, apples, water, snacks, and candy. They said they're out here twice a month, so we were lucky to run into them.



We're staying at Hikertown tonight, a hostel on the edge of the Mojave Desert.


It's a really strange place. I'm sleeping in a white shed with just a sofa and a couple tables inside. No bed or electricity.



I did get a shower and cooked dinner in the communal living area, so it was worth the $10. I plan on hiking out of here at 3 am to get across the Mojave before it gets real hot.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I bet you had to duck to run under their arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, and I still banged into all of them with my pack!

    ReplyDelete