Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 36 - Zero in Mojave

Day 36 - Thursday, May 31
Mojave (558.3)
Miles today - 0

I met Yankee Son, Hallmark, and Just Retired for breakfast. We all got the pancake special, which came with two pancakes, two eggs, two pieces of bacon, and two sausages, all for less than $5!

After breakfast Fairway and I went to the grocery store for two weeks worth of food - one for this next section, and the other to ship ahead to the town of Independence, where we'll be in a couple weeks. After walking a mile to the post office, packaging and mailing our food, going to lunch, and walking a mile back, the day was already mostly over, so I didn't get as much time to relax as I would have liked.

I went back to the Mexican place for dinner with Just Retired, Brother Man (now known as Macho Taco for his obsession with Del Taco), and his brother Brett, who left the trail a few weeks ago with a leg injury but is going to start up again from here.

We're all getting taxi rides back to the trail tomorrow at 5 am. As much as I like hanging out in town, I can't wait to get out of this one. It's 150 miles to my next resupply and I'll be carrying seven days of food. It'll be the longest I've ever gone between resupplies and I'm worried about the weight of my pack the first couple days, especially since I'll also have to carry four to five liters of water at times. This will be a difficult week. Good thing I'm carrying lots of ibuprofen.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there on the next 150. Better hiking after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog posts are getting better and better with each one. Its fun following your progress bud! Hang in there, and keep yer chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're doing well with that extra weight. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks man, glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete