Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 16 - Under the Stars

Day 16 - Friday, May 11
Ziggy and the Bear (210.9) to Mission Creek (229.5)
Miles today - 18.6

I'm not sure if I got even an hour of sleep last night. The wind was ridiculous. It must have been blowing 40-60 mph without ever letting up and it blew dirt into my face all night. No wonder there's a wind farm nearby. When 2 am rolled around I was so ready to pack up and get out of there.

Magellan, Laura, and I were on the trail by 3 am. Hiking in the dark was interesting. There was enough moonlight that you could vaguely see where you're going and what's around you, but the mountains were just dark outlines without any detail.

As soon as the sun came up it got really hot and our pace slowed, but at least we had already covered a lot of miles and only had to hike in he heat for a few hours.



By 12:30 we had already gone close to 19 miles and called it a day when we found a nice campsite under some trees with a stream nearby with a swimming hole that was perfect for bathing. We all took naps and spent the rest of the day eating and relaxing. I feel sorry for the people who were out there hiking this section in the heat. Same gameplay for tomorrow, so I'm going to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment