Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 25 - Mt Baden-Powell

Day 25 - Sunday, May 20
Wrightwood (369.5) to Little Jimmy Campground (384)
Miles today - 14.5

Iceman, Brother Man, and I headed back to the trail after breakfast while everyone else decided to stay in town another day. The group is split up for now, but we plan to meet up again in Agua Dulce in about five days.



Every year during the Rose Bowl Brent Musberger points out the beautiful San Gabriel Mountains in the background. That's where we're hiking now. Today we climbed to the summit of Mt Baden-Powell at 9,300 feet.



It was probably the hardest climb on the trail so far, gaining 3,000 feet in just four miles. There were a lot of day hikers on the trail. They're easily identified by the smell of soap and deodorant.

From the summit we could barely see the LA skyline poking up through the smog. Couldn't see the ocean though. We met Heather and her 8 year old daughter, Monkey. If they make it all the way to Canada Monkey would be the youngest person to thruhike the PCT.



My feet are really hurting. I think maybe I need a new pair of insoles. I probably have about 900 miles on this pair. Hopefully I can get the ones I need in Agua Dulce. I might be able to get to an REI from there.



Above: this tree is supposedly 1,500 years old.

We're camped in another active bear area. This time we hung our food.

Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment