Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 40 - Ridgecrest

Day 40 - Monday, June 4
Bird Spring Pass (630.8) to Walker Pass (651.4)
Miles today - 20.6

The wind was really whipping around as I made my way up a big climb first thing in the morning. It was hard just to stay on the trail. At one point there was a perfect tail wind that was so strong it literally pushed me uphill. All I had to do was lift my feet. But then I turned around a switchback and it was like running into a wall. I could feel the skin on my face flapping around. The good news is that the trail climbed up into a forest, hopefully leaving the desert behind for the last time.



I hiked alone and didn't see another person for 20 miles. I thought Fairway, Macho Taco, and Bronco were ahead of me so I was trying to catch them, but I unknowingly passed them when they went off trail for water. I only took one break and got to Walker Pass Campground before 1pm. I was surprised when I was the first person there from our group. The others weren't far behind.

A woman named Okie Girl was at Walker Pass doing trail magic where she'll be for a couple weeks. There were all kinds of drinks and snacks. And ridiculous wind blowing dirt all over the place.



Golden Boy was there with his rental car, and when Just Retired suggested that he'd like to spend the night in town, a bunch more of us jumped on board with the idea. We just didn't want to camp there in the wind. Golden Boy made two trips, 30 minutes each way, to get us into town. There's me, Bronco, Just Retired, Hallmark, Yankee Son, Macho Taco, and Sesame. Fairway and Houdini decided to hike on. We'll meet them in a few days at Kennedy Meadows.

We're in Ridgecrest and it turns out the pizza place here has an all-you-can-eat buffet on Mondays and Tuesdays. Perfect! We all loaded up on pasta, salad, pizza, and breadsticks. And soda. I've probably had five or six sodas today. Along with all the candy I eat on the trail I'll be surprised if I have any teeth left at the end of this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment