Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 64 - Bounce Back

Day 64 - Thursday, June 28
Jack Main Canyon (996) to Sonora Pass (1,018.5)
Miles today - 22.5

Tomorrow is a new day. That's what I have to keep telling myself whenever I have a horrific day like yesterday. Today was definitely a lot better, and it actually turned out to be one of my favorite days on the trail so far.



I passed the 1,000 mile mark in the morning. There was no time to stop and celebrate though because the mosquitoes got all over me in seconds, so I just took a picture and kept moving.



Soon after leaving Yosemite the landscape changed dramatically. The trail climbed high up onto a ridge and the mosquitoes were gone for the rest of the day! The hike along the ridge was some of the best hiking yet.



After descending down to the road at Sonora Pass Houdini and I got a ride to Kennedy Meadows Resort from a family with three young kids in a minivan. They're on a road trip and are on their way back home to Oregon. They were really fascinated with our hike and even took a picture of us when they dropped us off.



We met up with Fairway and Bronco at Kennedy Meadows. It's been nearly two weeks since I've seen Bronco. Obviously this is a different Kennedy Meadows than the place I was at a few weeks ago. This place is awesome! I picked up a resupply box that I had sent here. Then I got a bed in the dorm and a shower and laundry for just $20. Dinner tonight was a turkey special: soup, salad, turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes, and stuffing with a pumpkin crisp for dessert. An early Thanksgiving! It was so good that Bronco ordered a second dinner.

After dinner we went over to the bar where we met a cop from Modesto, CA who was having his bachelor party here. He bought us beers faster than we could drink them and he went on a rant about politics. As I was leaving he gave me a $20 bill to help support my hike. I told him I couldn't take his money, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. This has been quite a night and it's experiences like these that I'd miss most if I leave the trail.

2 comments:

  1. Don't leave the trail bud! You're doing so good! Keep these days in mind bud, and during any rough days, pretend the next day will be like it :D It's like playing halo on bad maps, it makes you appreciate the good ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I've been wanting to work that quote into my blog!

    ReplyDelete