Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 61 - Tourist for a Day

Day 61 - Monday, June 25
Tuolumne Meadows (942.5)
Miles today - 0

Desert Fox liked my idea to hitch into Yosemite Valley and decided to join me. It took about 30 minutes before we finally got picked up by a guy heading to the valley to film a documentary. It was about a 60 mile ride and took an hour and a half to get there, but it was a beautiful drive. Desert Fox wanted to stay there for a night or two so he went to find a place to camp while I set off to explore the park on my own.



I found a view of Half Dome and then did a short five minute "hike" to see Yosemite Falls.



The sign said to allow for a 30 minute hike on a paved trail that may not be wheelchair accessible due to a 14% grade. It felt more like an amusement park than a wilderness park and I regretted making the trip down there. Just too built up and too many people.



After finding a pizza place for lunch I was ready to leave. It too two hitches to get back to Tuolumne. I only had to wait about 15 minutes to get picked up both times. The first guy was a climber and he drove me about 20 miles to a junction where he was turning the other direction. Then a couple from LA took me the rest of the way. They said they picked me up because of my sign that says I'm a PCT hiker.

There were a lot of thruhikers hanging out at Tuolumne when I got back, including Fairway and Houdini. I bought some groceries at the small store and I'm ready to head back out on the trail tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment