Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 42 - One More Day to Kennedy Meadows

Day 42 - Wednesday, June 6
Spanish Needle Creek (668.6) to Manter Creek (693.5)
Miles today - 24.9

I think we've finally left the desert for good. The terrain was a lot more mountainous today with fewer cacti, more trees, and rocky, jagged peaks. Off in the distance we could see the High Sierra where we're heading in a couple days.

On the last big climb of the day I started feeling some discomfort on the back of my heel. When I stopped for lunch and took my shoes off I discovered a blister, my first of the trip. It's pretty deep and hurt like crazy after I popped it and taped it up. I have a feeling I got it because my shoes are starting to break down. I was really irritated the rest of the day knowing that I'm picking up new shoes tomorrow. These shoes couldn't have made it just 15 more miles without giving me a blister?



I wasn't any happier when we made it to camp. We're in a sandy burn area and there are red ants everywhere. I think we all expected better being our last night before Kennedy Meadows. Being around such great people always lifts my spirits though. I'm still with Bronco, Just Retired, Hallmark, and Yankee Son. The rest of the crew is ahead somewhere and I'm sure we'll see them at Kennedy Meadows. Wampus Cat, Zen, and iPod finally caught up to us. They rolled into camp a couple hours after we did. We've seen them in all the towns as we're leaving and they're getting in. This is the first time in weeks that we've seen them on the trail. It'll be fun to hike with them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment