Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 44 - Hanging At Kennedy Meadows

Day 44 - Friday, June 8
Kennedy Meadows (702.8) to Kennedy Meadows Campground (704.7)
Miles today - 1.9

I spent today just hanging out and getting ready for the Sierra. I had to try to fit all my food into my bear can which didn't work out so well. There's at least a day and a half of food that I couldn't cram in. Then I had to figure out how to fit the can into my pack. It takes up a ton of space and just barely fits with the rest of my gear.



Above: Hikers hanging out outside the general store.

I'm so glad to be done with the desert and not have to worry and finding water and shade. It should be plentiful in the Sierra. There will be a lot of new challenges and dangers though, like bears, big climbs and high altitude, fording creeks, and crossing snow covered passes (although there was only 30-40% of normal snowfall this year, so snow shouldn't be much of a problem). This feels like a whole new beginning and I can't wait to get started.



Above: The Usual Suspects reunited probably for the last time. Iceman is heading out on his own at a faster pace. From left to right, top row: Just Retired, Bronco, Autopilot, Hallmark, Macho Taco. Bottom row: Iceman, Fairway, Yankee Son.

After free chili dogs for dinner we hiked two miles up the trail to the big Kennedy Meadows Campground. We figure it'll be easier to leave from here tomorrow than from the general store where we might be tempted to stay and eat and drink all day. We got to the campground and there was a guy named Sparky doing trail magic. He started the trail but had to leave after the first 100 miles due to health problems. He cooked us burgers and BBQ chicken.



I feel spoiled with all the trail magic we've had, but I'm sure it'll be less frequent the further north we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment