Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 43 - Goodbye, SoCal

Day 43 - Thursday, June 7
Manter Creek (693.5) to Kennedy Meadows (702.8)
Miles today - 9.3

I made it to Kennedy Meadows! This is sort of the gateway from the desert of southern CA to the High Sierra of central CA. It's probably one of the most anticipated points on the trail along with the CA/OR border and of course Canada. It's pretty remote and there's not a lot here. Just a small general store with a burger shack, space for camping, and Tom's Place where you can get on the internet. No cell service here.



Above: approaching Kennedy Meadows.

The first thing I did when I got here was go into the store to pick up my packages. At first the guy handed me one package and said that was it. I was expecting four packages so I almost had a heart attack, but then he went back and found the other three boxes. I got a bear can for food storage, which is required in the Sierra, a wind jacket for extra warmth, a new pair of shoes, and seven days of food. Good job, Mom!



I got an ice cold shower, had a double jalapeƱo Swiss burger for lunch, and spaghetti for dinner. The rest of the day was spent doing nothing and it was great. After dinner iPod and I had a chess rematch. He destroyed me when we played in Agua Dulce. This time I won. There will have to be a rubber match sometime. After dark we watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on an outdoor projector at Tom's Place under a starry sky. I had never seen it before. I was really enjoying it, but I was tired and went to bed about halfway through.



Above: New shoes on left. Yes, they are the same exact model.

I've hiked 700 miles. That's the distance from Chicago to Baltimore, a trip I've made by car many times. I can't believe I've gone that far on foot.

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing distance. You've done so well.

    ReplyDelete