Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 63 - Low Point

Day 63 - Wednesday, June 27
Smedberg Lake (969) to Jack Main Canyon (996)
Miles today - 27

Today was my low point on the trail. I was alone the entire day and didn't enjoy the hiking at all. It was one steep, rocky climb and descent after another.



Everything looked about the same with no great views. And the mosquitoes were everywhere. One valley had so many blowdowns that it was impossible to even see the trail. There was a creek that I forded in my bare feet to keep my shoes dry, but then shortly after that there was another creek that I tried to cross on a small, unstable log. I lost my balance and my left foot went right in the water. Later, my right foot stepped into a mud hole. After dinner I had to hike a couple more hours just to find a descent place to camp. It was a miserable six miles through a mosquito infested swampy meadow. Finally I found a dry, flat spot, and Houdini is here too. I quickly set up my tent and crawled inside to take refuge from the swarms.



I decided pretty early on today that I'm probably going to end my hike in Tahoe next week. I just haven't been having fun the past couple weeks and the walking feels boring and tedious. I don't know how many more days like today I can take. Maybe I'll change my mind before Tahoe, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment