Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 59 - All Alone

Day 59 - Saturday, June 23
Mammoth Lakes (904) to Badger Lakes (921.5)
Miles today - 17.5 PCT + 3.5 side trail = 21

I woke up late this morning and had just enough time to pack and go out for a hot breakfast before the shuttle picked me up at 8:20 to take me to the trailhead. Fairway and Houdini wanted to stay until the afternoon, so I'm on my own for now. The plan is to meet back up at Tuolumne tomorrow evening.

As I was hiking the side trail over Mammoth Pass back to the PCT I was surprised to see Yankee Son and Hallmark on their way into town. We exchanged hugs and spent some time catching up. They think Just Retired is a day behind them. Today is Hallmark's birthday, so I wished her a happy one and then hiked on.



Above: Hiking through a burn area.

I saw very few hikers and no familiar faces the rest of the day. I did run into some trail crews working on clearing some of the downed trees. This section would have been a nightmare without their hard work.



Above: This is what 150 mph winds will do.

Below: Cleared trail.


It's been cool and windy all day. The wind seems to have gotten stronger throughout the day.



I found a place to camp in the trees where it's sheltered from the wind, but I still hear it howling. I hope it doesn't keep me up all night. That and worrying about bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment